Condé Nast Traveler magazine has announced Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong as the best hotel in the world in its annual Readers’ Choice survey followed by Peninsula House in the Dominican Republic, which won second place.
The Four Seasons Sharm El Sheikh was adjudged third and Safari Lodges at Phinda Private Game Reserve in South Africa came in fourth place.
The Readers’ Choice Awards recognizes over 1,200 winners across multiple categories which is based on response from over 28,000 respondent.
Another much-watched category is that of best city, which is awarded by country or continent.
Top 10: Readers’ Choice Awards 2011
1. Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
2. Peninsula House, Dominican Republic
3. Four Seasons Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt
4. Safari Lodges at Phinda Private Game Reserve, South Africa
5. Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, Tanzania
6. Lodge at Kauri Cliffs, New Zealand
7. Elysian Hotel, Chicago
8. Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
9. Mombo and Little Mombo Camps, Botswana
9. 21c Museum Hotel, Louisville, Ky.